Unfortunately I had to do this project due to the fact someone graciously though it was time I bought a new battery. Therefore they took the 3 year old Optima I had in my Wranger. Not wanting this to happen I installed a hood lock (if you click the previous link you will notice Rugged Ridge has modified the design slightly. I am working on confirming that it uses the same 2 factory screw for install.) before putting in the new battery.
Estimated Time: 10 – 15 minutes
- T-30 Torx
- Flat Head Screwdriver
- When the locking mechanism is unpacked everything needed for the installation is assembled in one piece.
- First thing to do is remove the bolts and washers from the unpacked lock assembly using a flat head screwdriver.
- Unscrew the latch bolts using the T-30 torx screwdriver or bit.
- Position the lock mechanism in place.
- Using the bolts and washers supplied with the kit, place the bolts with washers through the latch bolt holes and lightly tighten into the lock mechanism body. Note: The supplied bolts are slightly smaller than the latch bolt holes.
- Adjust the locking mechanism by pushing it back and forth. The key is to not have the lock arm rub the latch, so it doesn’t wear off the rubber, but is firmly in place not allow movement in the latch.
- Once the adjustment if finished tighten the bolts down, and the job is finished.